Vera Jónás is a hard-working, extremely determined singer-songwriter-guitarist. Her band, Vera Jonas Experiment performed two shows at Eurosonic 2017, and opened for Skye and Ross from Morcheeba in Budapest last fall.
This March, Vera Jonas Experiment won the Indie/Alternative Album of the Year Award of the Hungarian Recording Industry Association. Tiger, Now!, was released in April 2016, after which Vera received the prestigious Junior Songwriter Award of Artisjus, Hungary’s copyright agency, and was selected for the second round of MIDEM’s Artist Accelerator program in 2016. She recorded a session for Sofar Sounds Sessions in Hamburg, and a session for BalconyTV in Budapest. Vera sings the main theme of an original HBO series broadcast in Hungary and Spain, and a UPC advertisement. The band is constantly on tour in Hungary and abroad.
She graduated from the London Centre of Contemporary Music School in 2012. She was handpicked to the OneBeat program sponsored by the US Department of State, participated in a two-week workshop in Florida, and toured the Eastern Coast of the US.
After commuting between London and Budapest, playing live extensively with bands in both cities, she settled in Budapest and started to build her career from there. She formed Vera Jonas Experiment in 2011, released an LP (GAME) and an EP (WANTED) before this year’s new album, Tiger, Now!. The song, What would they do?! was the original soundtrack of a Hungarian mainstream movie, while her most recent featuring with highly-acclaimed Hungarian producer-songwriter Máriusz Fodor has reached the Top30 of Hungary’s top alternative music radio.
GAME, which brought them two nominations (Best Album, Best Spoken Word Song) at the 13th Independent Music Awards, was released in Japan, where she toured in the spring of 2015. The Experiment plays in Romania regularly. They also played in Austria and Germany, and are frequent guests at Hungary’s top clubs and festivals like Sziget and VOLT.
- two shows at Eurosonic 2017 – one recorded by Rockpalast
- Indie/Alternative Album of the Year 2016 Award (Fonogram – Hungarian Recording Industry Association)
- Plato Record Store show at Eurosonic 2017
- Opening for Skye and Ross from Morcheeba in November 2016
- Main theme of an original HBO series broadcast in Hungary and Spain, finalist at SXSW Film Festival 2017
- Original song for UPC commercial
- Selected for the second round of MIDEM 2016 Artist Accelerator program
- Junior Songwriter of the Year Award (Artisjus)
- Chosen to Nagy-Szín-Pad (Main Stage) Hungarian talent show
- Sofar Sounds Hamburg during Reeperbahn 2016
2017: Alternative/Indie Album of the Year Award – Fonogram
2017: two shows at Eurosonic 2017
2016: Alternative/Indie Recording of the Year nomination – Fonogram
2016: Junior Songwriter Award winner – Artisjus
2015: Junior Songwriter Award nomination – Artisjus
2014: Best Album nomination – 13th Independent Music Awards
2014: Best Spoken Word Song nomination – 13th Independent Music Awards
2015: Wanted EP
2016: Tiger, Now!